Normally people avoid discussing their urine, but the fact is it can tell quite a lot about you.
The consistency, odor, and color of your urine are all important markers of your health and the type of life you live.
According to UC San Diego Health, urine is at least 95% water, while the remaining 5% is a complex of different ingredients that include sodium, chloride, urea, and creatinine.
It’s essential that you pay attention to your urine color if you care about your health and wellbeing. Here’s what the colors mean:
The UC San Diego Health explains that colorless urine could indicate that your body may be over-hydrated. Over-dehydration can dilute essential salts that can create a chemical imbalance in your blood.
You are well-hydrated, healthy and normal if you have a pale color urine, says the UC San Diego Health.
If the color of your urine is yellow, then everything is completely normal. Your body is working perfectly, says the UC San Diego Health.
If the color of your urine is dark yellow, it’s still normal, but it also does suggest that you may be mildly dehydrated according to UC San Diego Health.
Honey or amber.
If the color of your urine is honey or amber, you might be dehydrated.
However, the UC San Diego Health emphasizes that people should drink for thirst instead of drinking to simply stay hydrated.
According to the UC San Diego Health, red urine may be a sign of hematuria.
Do not hesitate to consult your doctor, because it can be a sign of infection or even a tumor in the urinary tract. It can also signal that there may be a problem with the prostate.
According to the UC San Diego Health, certain medications and food dyes can produce blue urine.
It can also be a sign of a rare metabolic disorder—familial hypercalcemia (blue diaper syndrome). If your urine becomes blue, consult a physician.
Dark brown or black.
Causes that do not require you to worry include certain medications, large amounts of fava beans, rhubarb, and aloe.
But the UC San Diego Health explains that potential causes of dark brown or black urine that should worry you are copper or phenol poisoning or melanoma. The best thing to do is consult your doctor.
Remember: the sooner you take steps to remedy a potentially harmful situation, the less likely you are to suffer from various complications!